Honours and Awards
of the
Royal Regiment of Fusiliers

Roll of Honour for those in receipt of the
Regimental Medal / Certificate of Merit

This page was


Companion of the British Empire

Officer of British Empire

Distinguished Service Order

Distinguished Conduct Medal .

George Medal

Knight of the Bath
The Royal Regiment of Fusiliers
Roll of Honour
1968 to Present Day
Click here
Completed by

David Prince
Many months of work has gone into the making of this Roll of Honour


Order of the Bath

Queen's Gallantry Medal

Member of British Empire

Military Cross

British Empire Medal

Military Medal

Meritorious ServiceMedal

All our Victoria Cross Winners are now on the Regimental History page

Below are some of the write ups for those on the

Roll of Honour

Sgt Eric White MM at Buckingham Palace

Sgt Martyn David Gibbons MBE

Click on photo to enlarge

The Citation
25024243 SGT M D GIBBONS
2nd Bn Royal Regiment of Fusiliers
Date of action or period covered by the Citation JULY 2006 - APRIL 2007

Sergeant Gibbons was the senior Mortar Fire Controller on two independent Company deployments to Helmand Province from the Cyprus based Theatre Reserve Battalion. He deployed to the remote District Compounds in Now Zad and Sangin, both of which were subject to significant Taliban offensives and under constant attack. He was responsible for ensuring that the mortar fire vital to the defence of these two key locations was accurate and that both Company Group Commanders were provided with timely and accurate advice about the full spectrum of indirect fire available. During his second deployment he was seriously wounded by enemy fire and has since undergone significant surgery to his legs. It is for his exceptional professionalism, sustained courage and inspirational leadership that he is to be commended.

Recently promoted and recently qualified, Sergeant Gibbons was relatively inexperienced for the challenges he would face before the deployment to Now Zad in July 2006. Despite having no previous experience of mortaring he showed the natural ability that would be so important to success in Afghanistan by achieving a distinction on both of the qualifying courses he attended. Within three months of this he was tested to the extreme as a professional mortarman, soldier and leader. After only two days in Afghanistan, he was instrumental in ensuring the successful deployment of the mortar section to Now Zad with only one hour's notice. His drive, enthusiasm and professionalism enabled the mortars to go into action against the Taliban within minutes of their arrival. Sergeant Gibbons remained in Now Zad between 15 July and 1 November 2006. He lived and fought throughout from a shallow trench system constructed on a hill that dominated the town. The conditions were austere and highly dangerous. Living only on rations, with minimal water and without overhead protection, his position experienced over 50 contacts from accurate and sustained direct and indirect fire. Sergeant Gibbons led by example throughout and, despite the incoming fire, bravely adjusted accurate fire onto enemy positions, some within 90 metres of his own forces. In total he controlled over 1200 high explosive rounds and accounted for most of the Taliban destroyed during the deployment.

Two months after returning, Sergeant Gibbons was warned to deploy with C Company Group to Sangin. He brought a wealth of experience from Now Zad to their training, often sacrificing his personal time to prepare lessons and produced aids that would be vital for the battle ahead. In Sangin his experience, skill and courage were once again tested fully. The Taliban offensive was at its height with four well coordinated, multi-directional attacks each day. Fully cognisant of the danger he would face, Sergeant Gibbons showed the same exceptional level of sustained courage in Sangin. Arriving at the District Compound in contact, he immediately improved the accuracy of all indirect fire and rationalised the system used to identify the enemy. This ensured faster, better coordinated and far more effective reactions to attacks, and inflicted greater losses on the enemy as a result. Sergeant Gibbons was seriously wounded after eleven days in Sangin. During a significant attack by the enemy, he was hit in the legs by an 82mm Recoilless Rifle round whilst running to his fighting position. Selflessly he insisted on giving his second-in-command a full handover briefing before he was evacuated to medical care, despite the extreme pain and discomfort. His recovery is proving to be slow and painful; however, he is bearing up exceptionally well to this ultimate test of character. Indeed, his fight to regain fitness is an example to all the injured soldiers in the Battalion.

Sergeant Gibbons provided the exemplary leadership required to make the indirect fire support so effective at countering the significant Taliban offensives in both isolated outposts. His personal example and continuous bravery in the face of sustained enemy attacks led to tangible successes against the enemy. For his extraordinary courage and selfless service he is unreservedly recommended for public recognition.

Signature of Lt Col PW Merriman
Initiating Officer ...............................................................................................................

Fusilier Daniel Smith GM

The Citation

On 5th September 2005 Fus Daniel Smith was acting as top cover in the 2nd vehicle of a two vehicle patrol when the first vehicle came under attack through a road side improvised explosive device. He immediately deployed to the stricken vehicle and on opening the rear doors he was confronted with the devastating sight of two of his close colleagues having received catastrophic injuries. Bus Smith a trained medic , carried a rapid and accurate triage Fus Meade had suffered traumatic limb amputation' served facial injuries and was unresponsive and not breathing. Fus Smith's action were of a determined and consummate professional, far above and beyond his years, experience and level of training. These who witnessed his actions have commended him:additionally his resilience and daemon post the incident were exemplary despite the deaths of two friends

Only six days later, on the 11th September 2005 Fus Smith was again acting as top cover on a vehicle patrol, this time in Basra City. At approximately 1110hrs local time the first vehicle in the two vehicle convoy was attacked by a massive roadside improvised explosive device. Fus Smith again , without direction or hesitation. Immediately ran to the immobilised vehicle. On reaching the vehicle and gaining access to the rear where he knew there were four of his colleagues , he was again confronted with the multiple casualties with catastrophic injuries. The vehicle was awash with fuel caused by the rupture of a jerry cans and Fus Smith applied direct pressure and a tourniquet to the affected limb, which stemmed the blood loss sufficiently until medical assistance arrived.
These action prevented deterioration of his condition and probably saved the life of Fus Tuila.

Fus Smith once again displayed a level of tremendous bravery, coolness and professionalism under attack in an extremely dangerous tactical and environment situation. With a total disregard for his own safety on two separate occasions in one week, seeing several of his colleagues killed or horrifically wounded. Fus Smith showed outstanding courage far above and beyond what could be reasonably be expected of this young soldier. These factors and the combination of testaments taken from witnesses at two separate incidents, merit the highest possible recognition


Our George Medal Winner
The most fitting words with which to record the fact that Bus Smith ( C Company ) has been awarded the George Medal must be his citation - We had the privilege of breaking the news of the medal to Bus Smith during Exercise saffron Sand . One cool September night , in the middle of the Jordanian desert Fus Smith Maj Prior (senior officer present WO1 RSM Barnett , his Company 2IC Capt Mills (OC in Iraq with advance party ) Lt Hayes (old Pl Comd) and WO2 CSM Corbett, all gathered in a green canvas tent , with a few cans of beer which conjured up from somewhere Fus Smith was told HM The Queen had approved his award. There were mixed emotion this most prestigious award stirred pride but also brought back memories of collages lost in Iraq: in particular Fus Meade and Manning. The news of the medal broke close to the anniversary of the incidents in question and as the battalion prepared to return to Iraq. A memorial gathering was held in Jordan and later memorial service was held I Al Shaiba log Base in Iraq ,attended by Bn HQ staff .C Company and FSp Company. The Regiment is privileged and extremely proud to now have a serving Fusilier who holds the George Medal.

Drummer Andy Barlow GM
The Citation
A YOUNG Bolton soldier lost a leg after a landmine exploded when he went to the aid of a badly injured colleague in Afghanistan. Seconds earlier, Andy Barlow, aged 20, from Breightmet, had been hit in the arm by shrapnel from another mine. As he turned round to pick up a water bottle, he stepped on the mine that blew off his foot. Two other soldiers lost a leg that day - September 6 - and another died. Andy was flown back to England three days later and, after treatment in hospital in Birmingham, he came home to Bolton last week.
Yesterday his father William told of the young soldier's ordeal. Machine gunner Andy was part of a patrol making its way to secure a dam in Kajaki in the southern province of Helmand. They had set up an observation post to keep watch for Taliban militiia and were providing cover for a foot patrol of half-a-dozen soldiers who were climbing a hill in searing heat to search for a suspected Taliban position. Suddenly the foot patrol walked into an unmarked minefield, probably left over from the Soviet invasion in the 1980s Then Andy had heard a loud explosion. Mr Barlow said Andy received a call on his radio asking for help and he and nine others ran to the scene."When they got there, they saw a soldier on the floor. His leg had been blown off by a mine," Mr Barlow said. A helicopter was scrambled to carry the injured man to safety. "Andy was just providing cover for those attending to the injured soldier when another soldier stepped on a mine and lost his leg."Andy ran over to him to apply first aid."Then another mine went off just centimetres away from him and he got a load of shrapnel in the arm."He turned round to pick up a bottle of water and stepped on another mine."Andy looked down and saw that his left foot had been blown to bits. Still conscious, Andy managed to apply a tourniquet - a tightly tied band used to stop bleeding - above his knee on his left leg. He then waited for medics and another helicopter to arrive. Corporal Mark William Wright, from the 3rd Battalion Parachute Regiment, died of landmine injuries that day after taking charge at the scene of the explosions. The 27-year-old from Edinburgh is now being considered for a posthumous medal. Mr Barlow spoke of his son's bravery after Andy's leg was amputated above the knee. He and Andy's 19-year-old girlfriend, Mel Makin, went to Selly Oak Hospital in Birmingham to see Andy after he had been flown home and found that he was laughing and joking with them immediately. "He knew he was going to lose some of his leg. He just didn't think he would lose that much," said Mr Barlow. "But he was laughing and joking in hospital and he said the other lads who had lost their legs had dealt with it in the same way. He is just happy to be alive." Andy and the two other paratroopers who lost legs were invited to meet Prince Charles in London last week. He thanked them for their service to their country - and presented them with a bottle of 11-year-old whiskey. Andy's 18-year-old brother, Matt, said: "We were all upset when we heard what had happened to Andy. People were crying and emotional. "We knew it was bad in parts of Afghanistan and you used to worry when you saw the news. But we didn't think something like this would happen to him." Andy, a former Thornleigh College and St Osmund Primary School pupil, ,joined the Army at the age of 16. He served in Belfast and Cyprus before going to Afghanistan. Ministry of Defence instructions prevent Andy, a member of the 2nd Battalion of Fusiliers, from talking about the landmine incident. But Mr Barlow said his son was already looking forward to rejoining the Army and would be going back into service on October 23 when his rehabilitation would start. Andy will get a prosthetic leg and plans to stay in the army and work in recruitment. Mr Barlow said:: "It was a scary time but at the end of the day he went there and it's his job. The whole family is really proud of him." He also said that Andy, who is a big Bolton Wanderers fan, was particularly happy with a signed get-well card he received from the team.
A spokesman from the Ministry of Defence said: "With any incident like this our thoughts are with the families and friends of those concerned."

Capt Jay Shaw MBE

Bob Jay and Rachel Shaw at
Buckingham Palace

Belinda and Jay Shaw

The Citation

As a Member of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire

Captain Jay Shaw was the Unit Welfare Officer of 2 RRF based in Hounslow throughout a most demanding operational deployment to Afghanistan between March and November 2009. Captain Shaw was responsible for 175 families who were spread in eight different locations across West London. In addition he took on the wider support to the families of single soldiers who were widely dispersed around the UK. In six months he dealt with the death of seven Fusiliers, and the recovery to UK of 24 seriously wounded soldiers. He was also the focal point and coordinator for the Casualty Visiting Officers to 31 families.

To reach out to everyone in the Regimental family across the country, he set up a novel Facebook group for Fusiliers' families which quickly became their daily dose of re-assurance and comfort. Sparing no effort, he thoroughly and with great delicacy, prepared the families for what lay ahead. He set out to bring the same message of communal care and involvement for the families of single soldiers. He arranged with Regimental Headquarters a carefully rehearsed system in preparation for possible future casualties and fatalities. His detailed and meticulous preparation was thorough and it was to be well-tested.

Once the Battalion had deployed Captain Shaw was constantly involved in supporting Fusilier families. This ranged from organizing events and outings, to deploying at a moments notice to Selly Oak to meet casualties and support the next of kin. In mid August he was dealing with the families of four fatalities and two other soldiers who had grave injuries, one of whom later died. At a time of incredible pressure and severe personal emotional strain Captain Shaw rose to the occasion, calmed deeply concerned wives around London and provided unwavering support to the families of those killed and injured. His constant energy, boundless enthusiasm and willingness to meet every demand placed on him were pivotal to the morale of 2 RRF in Afghanistan. They knew that nothing was spared or left to chance at home for their dead and wounded comrades. The positive effect of this on individual fighting soldiers was impressive. Captain Shaw was also given the lead in Community Engagement with the London Borough of Hounslow. As a result they wished to confer the Freedom of the Borough, the first time in living memory that the honour had been bestowed on a Cavalry Barracks Battalion. Much of the inspiration for this came from the great work done, with sensitivity and tact, by Captain Shaw. The formal event was a huge success in bonding with a very diverse civil community.

Determined, unstinting, and working with a passion to look after his Battalion and its families, Capt Shaw spared nothing that might help. An outstanding servant of the Army, his Regiment and the pride of his local community, Captain Shaw is a model, an example to every soldier and a man whom the families take great comfort and pride in. He merits the highest public recognition for his devoted, relentless and selfless efforts.

Capt Joe Eastwood BEM CQSW.

British Empire Medal ( Military Division )

The Citation
Sgt Eastwood was appointed to command 5 Platoon, 2RRF, when the battalion joined 3 Division in August 1971.
He has commanded the platoon since then throughout two four month operational tours in Belfast and on overseas training in Canada.
During these 18 months he has earned promotion to first Staff Sergeant and then to Acting Warrant Officer.
From the outset he showed outstanding powers of leadership in what is normally an officer's command.
His exemplary enthusiasm and professionalism have never flagged and he has time and again demonstrated, on operations ,on training and in barracks , that his platoon has been second to none in providing excellent comparison with those commanded by experienced officers.
During eight months of operations he has demonstrated consistently cool, unflappable, sensible, determined and yet sympathetic leadership which has brought him the respect of his men, of his commanders and of the police and civilians with whom his duties have brought him into contact.
On several occasions in July 1972 his platoon came under fire and on each occasion he handled his platoon fearlessly and with tactical skill despite casualties which included his platoon sergeant.
The general performance of this none commissioned officer over the last 18 months has been such that his results have become the standard which young officers now set themselves.
He has therefore ,had a significant personal effect upon the overall ability of the battalion and this is tribute to the example of his outstanding leadership,professionalism and sustained devotion to duty which has been well beyond the quality which might be expected from a none commissioned officer.

Mention  in Despatches

Des Sinclair MM

The Citation